Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Nice Day

Sunday night Connor woke up coughing at 3:30 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep until 5:30. Needless to say, he was exhausted and did not even wake up until 9:20! I have been sending him to school for 2 weeks with this cough and really no other symptoms to speak of. When he looked at the clock he said that he had to look twice because he could not believe his eyes! He ran down the stairs all smiles and said, "Mom, did I miss the bus? Am I staying home?" He looked awful perky and yet was in need of a "mental health" day. His schedule has been busy lately with school, Tae Kwon Do, Fall Ball practice, games, church. . .you know the drill. So he said that if he was to stay home (for a mental health day) he should still do a few of the things that he would do if he was at school. So he did some division worksheets, then some fraction worksheets, some word problems, then it was time for gym class. We did 5 push ups, some stretches, some jumping jacks, and then played 2 games of air hockey. (all of this was totally his idea. . .even the topic of all of the worksheets) Next we had a free period and her played 30 minutes of a Ben Ten video game on the Wii. After the free period we had lunch and very nice conversation. . .just the two of us. After lunch it was time for a language arts activity. He wrote a letter to Madeline and Lily.He expressed his excitement of their upcoming visit to Guilford during Thanksgiving! After that we read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix aloud followed by another free period! :) This time he chose a 30 minute on-demand Ben Ten episode. The whole day just unfolded one activity at a time and it was really wonderful to have the opportunity to spend it together. Connor seems to be growing and changing every day into a "new" sort of person. It is hard to describe. . .I guess I would say that he is maturing into more of a young man and less of a little boy. Even though he is still just a 9 year old boy. There is just a great "sweetness" about it. I am enjoying it right now and wish for it to stay this way if only for a little while. . .
This is a picture of Connor reading an article in the New York Times on how researchers are making advances with new technology to "cure" or allow blind people to see! Connor just told us a couple of months ago that it was his dream that the blind could see the people that they love and all of the beauty in this world. . .powerful!

2 comments:

  1. Okay...I'n crying now and I have to go to my meeting that starts in 2 minutes! And..uh...am I reading that right...Ben 10???!?!? On Wii and on TV! I didn't think you liked that one! (-;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor, I would really like to come over and take your gym class! Love you -- Miss Carol

    ReplyDelete